Employment Services provides Prevocational and Supported Employment to individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities to assist in preparing for volunteering and worksite experiences, as well as obtaining and maintaining paid competitive jobs.
Prevocational Services are pre-employment and/or job readiness activities specified in an individual’s Life Plan and Prevocational Habilitation Plan/Staff Action Plan. These services are habilitative and prepare the individual for paid employment or meaningful community activities that enable an individual to prepare to attain the highest level of community engagement in the most integrated setting with the ultimate goal of employment. Prevocational Services are delivered as Community-Based Services.
Individuals will typically transition to Employment Services, such as Pathways, Inc., after they have received intensive supported employment services funded by the NYS Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR) and require limited job coaching to successfully maintain their employment. Individuals also come to supported employment from programs that offer intensive training such as Employment Training Program (ETP).
COVID-19 Prevocational Services Re-Opening Plan
- Job development or partnership with employers to match an employee to the employer’s needs
- Support for the employer to properly train and assist the employee, ongoing communication with the employer to ensure their needs are met
- Education and assistance for the individual to obtain employment
- Job coaching provided at the job site to assist and educate individuals to perform job tasks independently and safely
- Job coaching, supports, training and education outside of work hours to develop life skills necessary to be successful at work such as problem-solving skills, travel training, interpersonal relationship development, and safety skills
- Businesses may be eligible for tax credits and save money on recruitment, orientation, job training and retention
Population and Geographic Area Served
The Employment Services program serves adults in Chemung and Steuben counties, must be age 21 and over and eligible for services through the New York State Office for People with Developmental Disabilities.
Access to Services
All individuals must meet eligibility criteria as defined by the New York State Office for People with Developmental Disabilities. A referral should be made by their Care Coordinator.
To learn more about eligibility and the support services available through Employment Services, contact:
33 Denison Parkway West, Corning, New York 14830
T: (607) 937-3218