Community Habilitation services are habilitation services that are provided to individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities individually and with small groups. These services can be delivered at any non-certified location, including the individual's home.
The Community Habilitation services are primarily habilitative services provided in the community (i.e. non-certified settings) to facilitate community inclusion, integration, and relationship building for adults and youth.
- Training and support for independence in travel
- Educational supports for adults; youth supports outside of school hours
- Development of social skills, leisure skills, and self-advocacy
- Social development to help the individual connect with meaningful activities and groups
- Pre-employment skill development such as problem-solving, travel training, interpersonal relationships, and volunteer experiences
- Life skills development to increase independence such as meal preparation, shopping, cleaning, laundry, and medication management
- Improve health with exercise, diet, life choices; connect with clubs and groups for support
Population and Geographic Area Served
The Community Habilitation program serves adults in Chemung and Steuben counties. Primarily ages 21 and over, some youth may be eligible for these services.
Access to Services
All individuals must meet eligibility criteria as defined by the New York State Office for People with Developmental Disabilities. A referral should be made by their Care Coordinator.
To learn more about eligibility and the support services available through Community Habilitation Services, contact:
33 Denison Parkway West, Corning, New York 14830
T: (607) 442-4372